structural geology and tectonics
personal home page
I was born in La Spezia, Italy, on November 12th, 1964. I had a degree in Geology in 1989 and a Ph.D. in Structural Geology in 1995 from the Earth Science Department of the Pisa University, Italy. From 2005 to 2010 I was Associate Professor of Structural Geology and Tectonics at the Geology Department of the Roma Tre University, Rome, Italy. At present I’m Associate Professor of Structural Geology and Tectonics at the Department of Physics and Earth Sciences “Macedonio Melloni”, Parma University. My working methods include: field work and statistical data analysis, laser diffraction granulometry, Hg porosimetry, optical morphometry, in situ permeability, geometric-kinematic modeling, analogue modelling, cross-section balancing, and interpretation of reflection seismic profiles. I participated to two field expeditions in Antarctica. I published more than 80 scientific papers in peer reviewed international journals and I authored more than 200 presentations at scientific congresses. I review manuscripts for almost all international journals dealing with Structural Geology, Tectonics and Geodynamics, and I’m a reviewer for research projects submitted to national iand international research agencies like the European Research Council (ERC) and the National Science Foundation (NSF). I was Editor-in-Chief of Tectonophysics for the term 2010-2012 and member of the Scientific Advisory Board of Journal of Structural Geology since 2003. I was President of the Tectonics and Structural Geology Division (TS) of the European Geoscience Union (EGU) for the term 2009-2012. At present I’m President of the Topical Events Committee of the EGU Council for the term 2013-2015. I’m member honoris causa of the Academia Europaea.
The ongoing research of my group is focused on the following projects:
- Analogue modeling of the deep architecture and evolution of sedimentary basins developed in convergent and divergent margins (funded by ENI);
- Deep structural architecture and evolution of the external sector of the Northern Apennines, using available reflection seismic profiles, cross-section balancing, field work and analogue modeling (in collaboration with G. Molli, Pisa University);
- Deformation and petrophysical properties in poorly lithified sediments of Eastern Calabria to investigate on the signatures of the seismic cycle (in collaboration with N. De Paola, Durham University, UK), and analysis of carbonate concretions in the same sediments for constraining both fossil fluid flow directions and velocities in faulted groundwater reservoirs;
- Deformation and petrophysical properties in poorly lithified sediments of Northeastern Brazil and analysis of iron concretions as a tool for constraining fossil fluid flow around fault zones (in collaboration with F.H.P. Bezerra, Natal University, Brazil);
- Relationships among diagenesys, deformation and dolomitization along fault zones developed in layered limestones of the Northern Apennines (in collaboration with R. Swennen, Leuven University, Belgium; funded by Shell);
- Evolution of the Jabal Qusaibah anticline, Oman, and of the extensional and strike-slip fault zones associated with this fold (in collaboration with R. Swennen, Leuven University, Belgium; funded by Shell);
- Fracturing modes in folded siliciclastic turbidites (funded by Petrobras);
- Cenozoic tectono-magmatic evolution of the Ross Sea Region, Antarctica (in collaboration with colleagues from Roma Tre, Pisa, and Bremen Universities, and the Italian CNR);
My research interests include: (i) the evolution of fault-related folds and of their deformation patterns, with implications for fluid flow; (ii) the evolution of fault zones and fault systems, including coseismic slip, with implications for permeability and fluid flow; (iii) the evolution of thrust and fold belts and their interaction with surface processes; (iv) the evolution of passive margins, with particular emphasis on the Ross Sea region, Antarctica.
- Storti F.(1995). Tectonics of the Punta Bianca Promontory: Insights for the evolution of the Northern Apennines, Northern Tyrrhenian Sea basin. Tectonics, 832-847, 14.
- Storti F.; McClay K.(1995). The influence of sedimentation on the growth of thrust wedges in analogue models. Geology, 999-1003, 23.
- Storti F.; Salvini F.; McClay K.(1997). Fault-related folding in sandbox analogue models of thrust wedges. Journal of Structural Geology, 583-602, 19.
- Storti F.; Poblet J.(1997). Growth stratal architectures associated to decollement folds and fault-propagation folds. Inferences on fold kinematics. Tectonophysics, 353-373, 282.
- Salvini F.; Brancolini G.; Busetti M.; Storti F.; Mazzarini F.; Coren F.(1997). Cenozoic geodynamics of the Ross Sea Region, Antarctica: Crustal extension, intraplate strike-slip faulting and tectonic inheritance. Journal of Geophysical Research, 24.669-24.696, 102.
- Storti F.; Salvini F.; McClay K.(2000). Synchronous and velocity-partitioned thrusting, and thrust polarity reversal in experimentally produced, doubly-vergent thrust wedges: Implications for natural orogens. Tectonics, 378-396, 19.
- Storti F.; Salvini F.(2001).Fault re-activation, fracture patterns, and cataclasite development in the carbonate rocks of the Narni Anticline. The evolution of a model trap structure in the Apennines, Italy. Journal of Petroleum Geology, 171-190, 24.
- Salvini F.; Storti F.; McClay K.(2001). Self-determining numerical modeling of compressional fault-bend folding. Geology, 839-842, 29.
- Storti F.; Rossetti F.; Salvini F.(2001). Structural architecture and displacement accommodation mechanisms at the termination of the Priestley Fault, northern Victoria Land, Antarctica. Tectonophysics, 141-161, 341.
- Salvini F.; Storti F. (2002).Three-dimensional architecture of growth strata associated to fault-bend, fault-propagation, and decollement anticlines in non-erosional environments. Sedimentary Geology, 57-73, 146.
- Storti F.; Billi A.; Salvini F.(2003).Particle size distributions in natural carbonate fault rocks: insights for non self-similar cataclasis. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 173-186, 206.
- Billi A.; Storti F.(2004). Fractal distributions of particle size in carbonate cataclastic rocks from the core of a regional strike-slip fault. Tectonophysics, 115-128, 384.
- Tavani S.; Storti F.; Salvini F.(2005).Rounding hinges to fault-bend folding: geometric and kinematic implications. Journal of Structural Geology, 3-22, 27.
- Storti F.; Rossetti F.; Laüfer A.; Salvini F.(2006).Consistent kinematic architecture in the damage zones of intraplate strike-slip fault systems in North Victoria Land, Antarctica and implications for fault zone evolution. Journal of Structural Geology, 50-63, 28.
- Tavani S.; Storti F.; Salvini F.(2006). Double-edge fault-propagation folding: geometry and kinematics. Journal of Structural Geology, 19-35, 28.
- Tavani S.; Storti F.; Fernandez, O.; Muñoz, J. A.; Salvini F.(2006). 3-D deformation pattern analysis and evolution of the Añisclo anticline, southern Pyrenees. Journal of Structural Geology, 695-712, 28.
- Storti F.; Soto Marin R.; Rossetti F.; Casas Sainz A.(2007).Evolution of experimental thrust wedges accreted from along-strike tapered, silicone-floored multilayers.Journal of the Geological Society, London, 73-85, 164.
- Storti F.; Salvini F.; Rossetti F.; Phipps Morgan, J.(2007). Intraplate termination of transform faulting within the Antarctic continent. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 115-126, 260.
- Storti F.; Balsamo F.; Salvini F.(2007). Particle shape evolution in natural carbonate granular wear material. Terra Nova, 344-352, 19.
- Tavani S.; Storti F.; Salvini, F.; Toscano, C.(2008). Stratigraphic versus structural control on the deformation pattern associated with the evolution of the Mt. Catria anticline, Italy. Journal of Structural Geology, 664-681, 30.
- StortiF.; Balestrieri M. L.; .Balsamo F.; Rossetti F.(2008).Structural and thermochronological constraints to the evolution of the West Antarctic Rift System in central Victoria Land. Tectonics, TC4012, doi:10.1029/2006TC002066, 27.
- Balsamo F.; Storti F. (2010).Grain size and permeability evolution of soft-sediment extensional sub-seismic and seismic fault zones in high-porosity sediments from the Crotone basin, southern Apennines, Italy. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 822-837, 27.
- Tavani S.; Storti F.; Muñoz J. A.(2010).Scaling relationship between pressure solution cleavage spacing and host-layer thickness. Journal of Structural Geology, 278-287, 32.
- Storti F.; Balsamo F.(2010). Impact of ephemeral cataclastic fabrics on laser diffraction particle size distribution analysis in loose carbonate fault breccia. Journal of Structural Geology, 507-522, 32.
- Ruch J.; Acocella V.; Storti F.; Neri M.; Pepe S.; Solaro G.; Sansosti E.(2010). Detachment depth revealed by rollover deformation: an integrated approach at Mt. Etna. Geophysical Research Letters, L16304, doi:10.1029/2010GL044131, 37.
- Balsamo F.; Storti F.; Lima C.; Salvini F.; Silva A.(2010). Structural and petrophysical characterization of extensional fault zones in poorly lithified, low porosity sandstones of the Barreiras Formation, NE Brazil. Journal of Structural Geology, 1806-1826, 32.
- Balsamo F., Storti F.(2011). Size-dependent comminution, tectonic mixing, and sealing behaviour of a “structurally oversimplifies” fault zone in poorly lithified sands: evidence for a coseismic rupture? Geological Society of America Bulletin, 601-619, 123.
- Storti F., Balsamo F., Cappanera F., Tosi G.(2011). Sub-seismic scale fracture pattern and in situ permeabilità data in the chalk atop of the Krempe salt ridge at Lägerdorf, NW Germany: inferences on synfolding stress field variations and their impact on fracture connectivity. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 1315-1332, 28.
- Tavani S., Storti F., Bausà J., Muñoz J. A.(2012). Late thrusting extensional collapse at the mountain front of the Northern Apennines (Italy).Tectonics, TC4019, doi:10.1029/2011TC003059, 31.
- Balsamo F., Storti F., Gröcke D.(2012). Fault-related fluid flow history in shallow marine sediments from carbonate concretions, Crotone basin, south Italy. Journal of the Geological Society, London, 613-626, 169.
- Balsamo F., Bezerra F.H.R., Vieira M.M., Storti F.(2013). Structural control on the formation of iron oxide concretions and Liesegang bands in faulted, poorly lithified Cenozoic sandstones of the Paraíba basin, Brazil. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 913-931, 125.
- Storti F., Aldega L., Balsamo F., Corrado S., Di Paolo L., Mastalerz M., Monaco P., Tallini M.(2013). Evidence for strong middle Pleistocene earthquakes in the epicentral area of the 6 April 2009 L’Aquila seismic event from sediment paleofluidization and overconsolidation. Journal of Geophysical Research, doi:10.1002/jgrb 50254, 3767-3784, 118.
- Nestola Y., Storti F., Bedogni E. & Cavozzi C. (2013) Shape evolution and finite deformation pattern in analogue experiments of lithosphere necking.Geophysical Research Letters, 40, doi:10.1002/grl.50978, pag. 5052–5057.
- Balsamo F., Aldega L., De Paola N., Faoro I. & Storti F.(2014) The signature and mechanics of earthquake ruptures along shallow creeping faults in poorly lithified sediments.Geology,42, 435-438.
- Clemenzi L., Molli G., Storti F., Muchez P., Swennen R. & Torelli L.(2014) - Extensional deformation structures within a convergent orogen: The Val di Lima low-angle normal fault system (Northern Apennines, Italy). Journal of Structural Geology, 66, 205-222.
- Cavozzi C., Storti F., Nestola Y., Salvi F. & Davoli G.(2014) – New materials for analogue experiments: preliminary tests of magnetorheological fluids.Tectonophysics,in press.